Monday, August 19, 2013

There's 104 days of summer vacation and school comes along just to end it.

And we are down to our 97th day of summer.

I'm going to say something.   I'm going to say it out loud.   I mean, this could be really big and by saying it I could be jinxing all of it.  Seriously, the balance and rotation of all things normal could be thrown into a frenzy of events leading to the same situation that once was.
Here goes.  (deep breath)
I'm not looking forward to school starting this year.  (hands now covering my head...panicking...waiting for the roof to fall in on me...slowly peeking through squinched eyes)
(sigh) nothing happened.

I have had the best summer with my kids.   You may remember how previously I couldn't wait until the kids were in school. here and here.  Going back to school always won out.   It was harder to have them home all day and that just isn't happening this year.   Which means.  WHICH MEANS PEOPLE.  That it's getting easier.  (dope...I did it again...I used my inside voice)
Now, if you want to think about it this way......you could say that the kids are getting easier.
OR.  you could say that the hardships of school are getting worse.   I mean...I will have 2 more lunches to pack.   I will have more homework and from, now, 3 teachers.  (the boys are in different classes this year...happily)
It's been nice flying by the seat of our pants.   We've done lots of traveling and visiting and camping.
Bedtime has been slipping and the idea of getting back on a schedule also read as -  making sure everyone is dressed by 8:20 am and fed every morning is going to pinch me in the soft part under my arm a little bit.

I'm going to miss my big boys being gone all day too.   I liked having them around for the afternoons when they were in kindergarten.   They were fun...and helpful....and easy.

I guess what I'm saying is.   don't expect another dumb video of my happy ass dancing because I'm getting a few more hours without my soon to be first graders.
:-(
You can expect one next year when the littles go to kindergarten though, for SURE.
\

























P.S. my little boys start pre school today.  2 hours might just be enough.  :-)

9 comments:

CJ said...

Now you have to pack all that fun into the weekends!

Tracy said...

I understand but trust me, when the last two go off for all day school, you will dance for hours!!

Stacey Bourgeois said...

Great summer pics. Looks like it was a blast.

I hate the scheduleness (a word, trust me) of school. I feel you.

They're starting grade 1 at 7? Riley is starting this year at 6--anyone who is 6 before Jan 1st would be in grade 1 here. Is it different there?

K J and the kids said...

Stacey - In our school district, any child who is 5 before Sept. 1 can be enrolled in kindergarten.
I held all 4 of my boys back as their birthdays are close enough to the cutoff date and we both decided it would be better for them.
They will now be the biggest and smartest :) (Jan wanted to do it for sports....I wanted to do it for smarts)
It's a personal decision for sure. I've never heard of anyone regretting holding their child back....I have however heard of people regretting they didn't.
With speech issues and twins and sensory and all of it....it will do them good to wait a year.



More Than Words said...

It looks like you guys had a blast this summer! Three cheers for the summer bucket list! It's crazy to think that your kiddos are getting to an "easier" age and mine is just getting started... ekkkk!

Amanda said...

I am soooooooo excited to know that it can "get easier." We have 2 more weeks until school starts and I am SO FUCKING READY!!! Like yesterday ready.

I seriously laughed out loud over you saying that you and J held the boys back for sports and smarts, lol. J is my kinda gal :)

Little Monster will be 2.5 months shy of his 6th birthday when he is able to start Kindergarten and I agree that with the speech delay and sensory, it is probably best. I love watching your kids grow and know that it gets better ;)

twomomsandajourney said...

WHAT??? NO VIDEO!!! You will have to make this up to us somehow. I have been waiting all summer for it.

Its great to see things getting easier. I say that as well and then I realize it is getting easier because she is growing up and then it makes me sad. :-/

DaniKel said...

I have mixed feelings about Summer break ending and the kids going back to school. We had a great summer, but with us working from home it can be stressful. So, it will be nice to be able to actually work, ya know? But, when the kids are getting along, no fights, no bickering, no whining, and the day goes smoothly, those days make me want summer break to not end. But the days when it is non stop, school can't start soon enough.

Love all the pics!! Looks like you guys had an amazing summer and vacation (s)!!!!

Stacey Bourgeois said...

K, that makes perfect sense. I would totally do that too if I had concerns and the cut off was so close. All 3 of our kids are at the start of the age group so I know this gives them an advantage.